Sausage and Apple Stuffing (Grain Free)
GLUTEN FREE, GRAIN FREE HOLIDAY STUFFING
Author: Diane San Fillipo Balanced BITES
Recipe type: PALEO
Cuisine: THANKSGIVING DAY STUFFING
- 1 lb ground sausage meat (I used pork but you can use another kind if you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp butter or bacon fat
- 1 onion, chopped into ½″ pieces (medium-large)
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped into ½″ pieces
- 2 green apples, chopped into ½″ pieces
- 4-6 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1c chestnuts, roughly chopped (buy them pre-cooked or roast and shell them first- Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods usually carry these)
- ¼c dried cranberries (or fresh if you like ‘em tart- I used fresh)
- ¼c homemade chicken or turkey stock
- Note: If you can’t find a good quality sausage in a store, you can make it by simply adding the following spices to 1lb of ground pork or chicken before browning it: 1Tbsp garlic powder, 1Tbsp onion powder, 1Tbsp paprika, 1Tbsp ground fennel seed, 1tsp ground black pepper, 1tsp sea salt, dash of cayenne, 3 or so leaves of chopped fresh sage.
- Brown the sausage then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Sautee the onion, celery, apples and seasoning in either the remaining sausage fat or add some to the pan.
- Add the chestnuts (already roasted or bought pre-roasted from TJs), cranberries and stock and simmer together until well heated and the cranberries either hydrate a bit (if dried) or cook down and pop (if fresh).
- Add the sausage back in to combine all of the ingredients.
- That’s really it. You can then set it up in a pan and brown it in the oven a bit, or serve it as is.
- Serving Size: 6