Butternut Squash Soup with Vegan Pesto
Author: Keri Brooks Health
Recipe type: Lunch
- 1 large organic butternut squash
- 2 tbsp. organic butter
- 2 medium/large organic leeks, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 1-quart good quality chicken stock or veggie broth
- ⅓-½ lemon (juice only)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare soup, preheat the oven to 375° F. Halve the squash lengthwise, scoop out seeds and arrange cut side down. Lightly dress with olive oil. Bake until very tender, 40-50 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scrape out the pulp. You should have about 6 cups.
- In a large pot, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash pulp and 1 quart of stock and increase the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a boil; then reduce the heat to medium-high and simmer, stirring often, until the leeks are completely tender, about 10 minutes. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Thin as needed with additional stock and season with salt and pepper and fresh lemon juice.
- To make the “pesto” combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and toss gently. Serve the soup in warmed bowls and garnish with a spoonful of the “pesto” in the center of each serving and toss gently. Serve the soup in warmed bowls and garnish with a spoonful of the “pesto” in the center of each serving